5.02.2014

Perspective

"How will you know if you can fight, until you fight?"

I was going to post about a month ago about what a huge day it was, what with the elections here in Afghanistan and everything. In fact, I'm even typing over the draft of the original post I had for that day. The first peaceful transfer of power in x many years.

Considering the circumstances under which I failed to update, 'peaceful' is not exactly the adjective I would have chosen. There were so many acts of violence in our region alone that we only found out about a fraction of them. What the news fails to mention, however, is that despite not losing any coalition soldiers, the civilians and national police are getting hit hard. How brave do you have to be to wake up every day knowing that at least one of you is probably going to die in the line of duty. 

Or get eaten by a sarlacc. Is it me, or does Afghanistan remind anyone else of Tatooine?
Whatever I may think of these people, whatever anyone may think of these people, they wake up knowing that today could be it and they still fight to make their country a better, safer place.

A picture I made 6 years ago.
Anyway...

Thinking about starting up Pirated Gods again.  It'll be an endeavor because, despite outward appearances, there was a ton of up front research that went into the project.  I'm talking maps, the history of late 18-19th century imperialism, (a few of) the complete works of Gilbert and Sullivan, international law, etc.  Before I wrote the first word, I felt like I had already accomplished something given the sheer scope of everything I had to learn.


The cover of a 1920's magazine
about Airships that I didn't even know
existed until about a month ago.
It kind of sort of maybe fell apart a little after that.  Hence the reboot.  The idea is to go through again and rewrite it to make it...readable.  Still in dire need of an artist, as all I have right now are concept sketches from a certain PJ Latizia (with whom, I wish I could have continued this project.  But we started years ago, and he has since raised a family).

Volunteers or friends of friends or anyone willing to point me towards an artist willing to work would be greatly appreciated.  There was much invested in PG and I'd like to see it come to life.

Anyway...

Here's a rhinoceros bettle.  Don't leave him hanging.

High five.

No comments:

Post a Comment