8.13.2016

Recommendations: Quantum Gravity Bomb Series

I'd like to start with the admission that today is day 15 of very low fat, almost no sugar dieting.  Obviously, with good dieting, I'm eating enough to stay healthy (no fat would kill you, and you need fat and sugar in your diet if you're an active person or your body would literally fall apart).  But, today, I would murder a small child for a delicious pastry.  

I'm in Germany, where they are famous for their delicious pastries. 

Bet you thought I was going somewhere
else with that.

Anyway, in my sugar-deficited brain, I've decided on a few things.  First, I'm combining M^6 and Ariana into one book (a storm is a brewin').  Second, I'm making progress on the Trader revision (side note on that, I've tackled what was by far my least favorite chapter.  Chapter 3 old and new are up so you can compare and see the improvement), so by the time my tenure here is up, I'll be ready to start trying publishers again.  Finally, I'm going to continuing reviewing one book a week (current theme for the blog), so whatever else I want to post will be extra bonus.

Week 3 is now up.  If you aren't sore by now, it must be nice to be so blessed with Deadpool's regeneration powers.  Jerk.

Oh, I added 21 squats for 21 days as well.  That's right.  Squats, squats, squats, squats, squats, squats.

Every day now.
And to get your forearms and calves growing, you need to work them out.  Because, let's be honest with each other, you (I) never do.  Remember:  Preworkout is your friend.  I'm still currently using C-4 as I'm not sure what is actually legal in Germany as far as workout supplements go.  However, I'm very seriously considering Gnar Pump from Brosupps.com.  With flavours like Komodo Dragon, House Music, and Optimus Lime, I'll be able to mind-fuck my brain-pussy into believing I can lift EVERYTHING.  But... I'll test it out and let you know how it goes after I finish my C-4.





+  




multiplied by      equals

EXTREME heart problems may occur.

Following that line of thought, this week's review and recommendation is book 1 of the Quantum Gravity Bomb Series by Justina Robson:


So let's talk about Keeping It Real.

Read this book.  I've read it... five or six times.  Apart from the fact that I cried (yeah, I cried, do something about it) at the end of the last book, Justina Robson does such justice to establishing the world that Lila Black lives in, that I had dreams about it for weeks.  Everything in Keeping It Real set the stage for the rest of the series.  Every character is fleshed out, is real, and develops as the story goes along.  There's no confusing plot lines, no nonsensical bullshit, and plenty of thought provoking moments that'll make you wonder about your own life.  She writes so vividly that you can feel the open warmth of the jungles, smell Lila's sister's cooking, taste the crisp, bubbly flavor of Fey beer, and internalize the desperation of Lila as she goes through her painful transformation.  

Back cover:

The Quantum Bomb of 2015 changed everything.  The fabric that kept the universe's different dimensions apart was torn and now, six years later, the people of earth exist is uneasy company with the inhabitants of, amongst others, the elfin, elemental, and demonic realms.  Magic is real and can be even more dangerous than technology.  Elves are exotic, erotic, and dangerous, and really bored with the constant Lord of the Rings references.  Elementals are a law unto themselves and the demons are best left well to themselves.

Special agent Lila Black used to be pretty, but now she's not so sure.  Her body is more than half restless carbon and metal alloy machinery, a machine she's barely in control of.  It goes into combat mode, enough weapons for a small army springing from within itself, at the merest provocation.  As for her heart, well, ever since being drawn into a game be the elfin rockstar Zal (lead singer of The No Shows), who she's been assigned to protect, she's not even sure she can trust that any more either.

June 18, 2012 was the fateful day I purchased this book on Amazon (only because I'd found Book 2 in a B&N during my travels, loved it so much without knowing it was a Book 2, and upon learning that fact, needed to know all the things about the series).  Please, please, please ready this book.  If only to get started on the series.

That's all I've got for now.  I should probably tell you that Lila was assigned by the Otopian Secret Service to keep an eye on Zal, and then crazy adventure happens when she goes to investigate his homeworld... but there's so much packed into this book, that I'd just get you confused.  You'll have to trust me.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment